Donald Jasko to Moderate Building Blocks 2008 Panel, "Performance-Based Systems: Technology Re-Defining Advertising Platforms"
Donald A. Jasko, Chief Executive Officer of Digital Economics, LLC, will moderate a panel on August 7, 2008 that will examine the manner in which performance-based systems promise to transform the media's and advertisers' relationships with consumers.
Our discussion will focus on the compilation and exploitation of consumer preference data as they support viewing, browsing, and the advertising experience, with special attention being paid to richer, more fulfilling experiences for consumers. These preference data may include registered user preferences, everyday television viewing and web browsing habits, and shopping and buying patterns. We will also examine issues that are specific to advertising delivered over media such as interactive television, the internet, wireless networks and e-mail. The issues that we will address include:
• Will advertisers and agencies learn to prefer targeted exposure
over mass exposure? What metrics, and what pricing models,
properly apply to performance-based exposures?
• To what extent will performance-based advertising grow the market
for advertising, and to what extent will it take market share from
traditional, mass-exposure media?
• At what point does performance-based advertising cease to be
advertising, and become:
» Services to which consumers will subscribe?
» Programming or content in its own right?
» The basis of digital communities?
• What data privacy issues must advertisers and agencies address?
To what extent do consumers not want their preferences known?
Are consumers comfortable with their purchases of goods and services
providing the basis for future advertising?
• To what extent must performance-based advertising be
• In what respects can distributors, agencies and data warehouses
enable the use of consumer preference data across multiple media
Are there media-specific issues that limit the use of preference data
on multi-media platforms?
• In what respects is advertising captive to the programming and
content environment in which it appears? Will the success of
performance-based advertising be subject to the success of
performance-based programming and content?
• Do the dangers of unlicensed or illegal content threaten the success
of performance-based advertising?
Appearing on the panel will be:
• Bhaskar Ballapragada, Chief Technical Officer, AdOn Network
• Fredrik Broberg, Chief Executive Officer, MMCast
• Claudio Marcus, Executive Vice President, Visible World, Inc.
• Moataz Rashad, Chief Executive Officer, VuFind, Inc.
• Vivek Veeraraghavan, Chief Executive Officer, AdBidCentral, Inc.
• Payam Zamani, Chief Executive Officer, Reply! Inc.
The panel will commence at 12:50 PM on Thursday, August 7, 2008. The Building Blocks 2008 Conference, presented by Digital Hollywood and the Consumer Electronics Association, will be at the Marriott San Jose Hotel in San Jose, California.
is a publishing administrator and copyright licensing consultancy that enables the licensing of creative content for programming and advertising over broadcast and digital media. For additional information, go to
has since 1990 been among the leading trade conferences addressing the convergence of the entertainment and technology industries with over 15,000 top executives in the film, television, music, home video, cable, telecommunications and computer industries attending events each year. For additional information, go to
The Consumer Electronics Association unites 2,200 companies within the consumer technology industry; its mission is to grow the consumer electronics industry.