Donald A. Jasko, Chief Executive Officer of Digital Economics, is an attorney by training. He has for many years focused his energies on the economic, technological and legal issues involved in the publishing and licensing of creative content.
Don served in various management positions at the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP), in which he was instrumental in transforming the process by which performance rights in musical compositions are licensed for television broadcast. He was a key participant in the complex music industry negotiations that culminated in the new "per program" license, as well as the development of the process by which music performance and pricing data are exchanged electronically between television broadcasters and performing rights organizations.
After a 16-year career with ASCAP, Don resigned from ASCAP to found Digital Economics.
Don subsequently became a major catalyst in the merger of Solana Technology Development Corporation with Aris Technologies, thereby creating Verance Corporation. He then joined Verance with key product development, business affairs, marketing and sales responsibilities for Verance's digital audio watermark technology in the music and entertainment sectors. He also played a key role in forging international joint ventures.
After nearly two years of service in Verance management, Don returned to the leadership of Digital Economics. As Chief Executive Officer, he provides publishing administration, license administration and product development services to Digital Economics' clients. He also serves as a strategist and expert witness in litigation involving best practices in publishing and licensing administration, and the monetization of creative content. His key areas of expertise are:
• Publishing and licensing creative content, including musical compositions,
master recordings, digital sound recordings, photography and art;
• Monetizing public performances of musical compositions and digital
sound recordings, and the creative content of writers, directors,
actors, and musicians;
• Developing, deploying and monetizing databases of content metadata
associated with programming, advertising and editorial;
• Using ratings data to monetize programming, advertising,
and the creative content incorporated therein.; and
• Developing, deploying and using digital fingerprint and watermark
technologies to monetize public performances of programming,
advertising, and the creative content incorporated therein.
He speaks regularly at industry conferences and educational programs.
Prior to earning his JurisDoctor degree at Seton Hall University School of Law, Don received a Bachelor of Arts degree cum laude (with a major in Government) from the University of Virginia. He is also a graduate of the Program on Investment Decisions and Behavioral Finance at the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University.
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
• Beverly Hills Bar Association
• Los Angeles Copyright Society
• Institute of Management Consultants/USA
• Academy of Television Arts & Sciences
• International Documentary Association
• California Copyright Conference
• National Music Publishers Association
• Association of Independent Music Publishers
• Society of Composers & Lyricists
• National Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences
Don has run numerous long-distance races, including two New York Marathons. He is a member of the Soaring Society of America.